Dear CHMS Families,
I hope this email finds you safe and well. This year has certainly ended differently than anyone could have anticipated, and to that end, we are exploring a new approach to our summer reading lists.
This summer we are partnering with our local libraries to encourage all our students to support their local library and sign up for their summer reading incentive programs.
Clarendon Hills Public Library:
- Curbside Pickup: CHPL will begin curbside pickup of CHPL items on Monday June 1st. Patrons will be able to place holds on CHPL items through the SWAN Online Catalog (preferred method), by phone (630) 323-8188, or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Summer Reading: Once Upon a Time in Clarendon Hills there was a Summer Reading Keep track of the number of days you spend reading between June 8 – August 1 and you may be entered into a raffle for prizes in August. Watch the library’s website for more info on how to sign up for this new virtual program!
- Programs: CHPL is offering virtual programs this summer. Listing for programs can be found here.
Hinsdale Public Library:
- Curbside Pickup: HPL patrons can call the library to reserve up to 10 items each week. Items will be available for contactless pickup the following day.
- Call (630.570.1976) to place holds.
- Summer Reading: The library will be offering a program similar to the Summer ReadingClub of years past. Kids sign up to track their reading with a reading log and will receive prizes for reaching milestones. If they sign up here staff will reach out to set up a date/time for curbside pickup of the reading logs and prizes.
- Programs: The library will be offering several great virtual programs this summer. Full listing here. Highlights for me: Virtual Storytime, Book Box Jr., and the Family Egg Drop Challenge.
Public Library Summer Reading Lists
- Families with incoming 7th and 8th Grade students please consider titles from the Great New Reads for Teens List, complete with book talks!
- Families with incoming 6th graders may want to consider titles from the New Books for 4th & 5th Graders List.
Please consider checking these titles out from your local library.
- Many of these titles will be available in print for curbside pickup next month. Many are also currently available digitally (see the list for what titles are available digitally at your library).
- If you are looking to purchase some titles please consider supporting our local bookstore: Anderson’s Bookshop. Online orders will be shipped to your home, but you can also call the stores for curbside pick up.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at email@example.com.
For our families with students who will be attending Hinsdale Central in the fall, I have included a message below from David Lange, English Department Chair at Hinsdale Central. If you have any questions, please contact David at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hinsdale Central Summer Reading 2020:
Need a break from Netflix? Rediscover your love of reading this summer with the perfect social-isolation activity: binge-reading.
- Your teachers have hand-selected for you a list of 40 books that will help you escape, make you laugh, or cry, or think.
- The lists are divided into book lists for each grade level, but feel free to choose any book on any list that you find interesting. And once you finish one book, you’ll probably want to go back to the list to find another title.
- You can find the book lists (and links to book trailer videos) hereand descriptions of all the books in a slide deck here.
Your students will also have continued access to your school’s digital collection over the summer, current CHMS students can log in to the D181 Middle School Axis360 Collection. Incoming 6th graders can access the D181 Axis360 Collection.
Library Card ID: Google Login (firstlast26)
PIN: Their Google Password
Thank you for your continued support,
Mrs. Ashley Rasmussen
CHMS MRC Director